Here is an interesting update in the Howard County Circuit Court Defamation case between Lisa Kim and Ainy Haider-Shah: The lawyers for Ainy Haider-Shah filed a “Motion for an Order Prohibiting Counsel or the Parties from Discussing the Matter with the Press (or any media) or Otherwise Publicizing the Pending Proceedings”. That motion has been DENIED!
Here is some of the text from the motion that was denied:
DEFENDANT QURRATUL-AIN HAIDER-SHAH’S MOTION FOR AN ORDER PROHIBITING COUNSEL OR THE PARTIES FROM DISCUSSING THE MATTER WITH THE PRESS (OR ANY MEDIA) OR OTHERWISE PUBLICIZING THE PENDING PROCEEDINGS
COMES NOW, Defendant Qurratul-Ain Haider-Shah (“Defendant”), by counsel, pursuant to Maryland Rule 2-311 and for good cause, respectfully requests this Honorable Court to issue an order prohibiting counsel or the parties from publicizing the pending proceedings. In support of this Motion, Defendant states as follows:
1. On November 22, 2021, Plaintiff filed a defamation lawsuit against Defendant for alleged false and defamatory statements.
2. On December 2, 2021, Plaintiff’s counsel sent out a press release regarding her filing and the allegations asserted against Defendant. See Plaintiff’s Press Release (Ex. 1).
3. Plaintiff is a public figure who serves as an elected Municipal Official and as a chairperson of a group called “Citizens For A Strong And Safe Howard County (In Opposition of CB 63-2020).” See Plaintiff’s Complaint at ¶ 5. As such, she holds considerable influence in her community and press releases will have an undue influence on the potential jury pool.
4. Plaintiff is attempting to try the case in the press and circumvent the court system.
5. Plaintiff’s use of the press is oppressive and seeks to unduly influence the potential jury pool. To prevent the pre-trial influence of potential jurors, Defendant requests an Order precluding counsel or the parties from discussing the matter with the press during the pendency of these proceedings.
WHEREFORE, Defendant Qurratul-Ain Haider-Shah respectfully requests the court grant her Motion and issue an order prohibiting counsel or the parties from discussing the matter with the press (or any other media) or otherwise publicizing the pending proceedings during the pendency of this litigation and any other such relief the court deems appropriate.
MACLEAY, LYNCH & LAPIDUS, P.C
(Note – OCR image to text was used to convert the text above – sorry for any errors the OCR system may have made. You can view the full text in the following PDF: Order denying gag order)
I am guessing that possibly Scott E’s Blog is the “or any other media” as to the best of my knowledge I am the only one covering this case (and the other similar Defamation cases). Here is the article on December 2nd (notice that date mentioned above in item #2): https://scotteblog.com/2021/12/02/lisa-kim-files-a-new-defamation-case-in-howard-county-circuit-court-against-ainy-haider-shah/
Glad to know that the court system is not preventing information from reaching the public in these cases.
I am also happy to publish any updates from the Lawyers representing Ainy Haider-Shah (if they are interested).
You can track updates in this case in Maryland Judiciary Case Search: Case Number: C-13-CV-21-000789