If you read my article earlier today (Carroll County expected to see temperatures above 90 degrees on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) you know that we have some hot days ahead of us here in Carroll County. Carroll County Government announced that Cooling Centers will be open today through Wednesday. Here is that announcement:
Forecasters are anticipating excessive heat and humidity for our area from today, Monday, June 28 through Wednesday, June 30. Because of this week’s anticipated high temperatures, the Carroll County Department of Citizen Services, Human Services Programs of Carroll County (HSP), and the Carroll County Public Library will operate cooling centers around the county.
Residents who are vulnerable to extreme heat and who do not have air-conditioning in their homes are encouraged to cool off in the following locations until the close of business:
HSP’s Day Center at St. Paul’s United Church of Christ at 17 Bond Street in Westminster remains open daily from 10 AM until 8 PM and is available as a cooling center.
Cooling centers are open during regular business hours Wednesday – Friday at select County Senior Centers.
- Mount Airy Senior and Community Center, 703 Ridge Avenue, Mount Airy (9 AM – 3 PM, Wed. – Fri.)
- North Carroll Senior and Community Center, 2328 Hanover Pike, Hampstead (9 AM – 3 PM, Wed. – Fri.)
- South Carroll Senior and Community Center, 5928 Mineral Hill Road, Eldersburg (9 AM – 3 PM, Wed. – Fri.)
- Taneytown Senior and Community Center, 220 Roberts Mill Road, Taneytown (9 AM – 3 PM, Wed. – Fri.)
All branches of the Carroll County Public Library will be open as cooling centers during regular business hours on Monday – Wednesday 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Eldersburg Branch, 6400 Hemlock Drive, Eldersburg
- Finksburg Branch, 2265 Old Westminster Pike, Finksburg
- Airy Branch, 705 Ridge Avenue, Mt. Airy
- North Carroll Branch, 2255 Hanover Pike, Hampstead
- Taneytown Branch, 10 Grand Drive, Taneytown
- Westminster Branch, 50 East Main Street, Westminster (opening at 12:00 PM on Tuesday, June 29)
Access to air conditioning and water will be available for those who need them at any of the cooling centers. If you have not been vaccinated for COVID-19, masks and social distancing are recommended.
See the full announcement here: https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MDCARROLL/bulletins/2e5e1f1