On May 29, 2021, the Westminster Police Department received two (2) reports of “distraction” thefts at local businesses. During these theft incidents, two (2) males enter the business. One suspect distracts the employee, while the second suspect enters a restricted area. In one case, a rear door was propped open and re-entry was made to commit the theft. In the other case, the second suspect immediately committed the theft. Both incidents resulted in significant thefts.
Local businesses should take the following precautions to limit the opportunity for these “distraction” thefts:
1. Take steps to limit access to restricted areas in the business
2. Secure valuables and cash in a safe
3. Secure exterior doors that are not intended for customer use
4. Conduct routine checks of emergency exit doors
5. Immediately call 911 to report similar suspicious activity
The below photos depict persons of interest from one of these incidents. Anyone with information regarding the identity of these individuals or concerning these theft incidents, are asked to contact the Westminster Police Department at (410)848-4646. Tips can also made anonymously by sending a confidential text to 847411, keyword TIPWPD or by contacting the TIPS line at (410) 857-8477.
Here is the full press release: