The following was posted on the Calvin Ball campaign account on Facebook:
Big announcement coming soon!
Sign up for our mailing list to be the first to know: https://votecalvinball.com/get-involved/
As there are no specifics I am going to play the guessing game of what the announcement will be on Tuesday:
He will announce that he is running for reelection as Howard County Executive (CE): CE Ball is popular and likely to be reelected pretty easily in 2022 (my opinion). I think this is what we will hear on Tuesday.
He will announce that he is running for Governor: I think CE Ball would make a great candidate for Governor but given the field on the Democrat side I see this as unlikely this election cycle. Here is a current list of declared Democrat candidates for Governor in Maryland (that I know of):
- Rushern Baker, former Prince George’s County executive and 2018 candidate
- Jon Baron, former nonprofit executive, expert in evidence-based policy, and former federal official
- Peter Franchot, Comptroller of Maryland
- Doug Gansler, former Attorney General of Maryland and candidate for governor in 2014
- Ashwani K. Jain, former Obama administration official
- John King Jr., former United States Secretary of Education
- Mike Rosenbaum, Baltimore businessman
I expect this field to continue to grow before it is all said and done.
He will announce that he is running for LT. Governor on a ticket with a popular candidate that previously announced: So this is one of those “rumors” I have heard. I find this VERY unlikely. Why would a sitting CE with one additional term make this jump? It is also SUPER early for announcements of LT. Governor candidates on tickets…so I do not see this being the announcement on Tuesday.
He will announce that he is retiring from politics: While there are some political groups secretly hoping for this to be the announcement I would not hold your breath.
Those are the possible scenarios I had thought of when putting this article together.
Have other scenarios or thoughts? Let me know in the comments.