It was announced back on February 17th that the “Howard County Education Association members voted to authorize work-to-rule with 91% in favor of working-to-rule“. Work-To-Rule is scheduled to begin today (February 22, 2021).
Here are other previous articles on this topic from Scott E’s Blog:
What does Work-To-Rule mean…here is text from the resolution:
A RESOLUTION: Authorizing HCEA members to enact work-to-rule effective February 22, 2021;
WHEREAS: The right to a safe and healthy workplace is a fundamental worker right and a core value of our union, the Howard County Education Association;
AND WHEREAS: Educators still do not currently have the COVID-. vaccines in Howard County that were promised by elected officials, HCPSS, and the Governor;
AND WHEREAS: By a margin of 91-9, Howard County Educators have no confidence in the Superintendent’s hybrid learning plan;
AND WHEREAS: The Superintendent’s hybrid learning plan does not improve the quality of learning for most children over virtual learning, and worsens it for many others;
AND WHEREAS: The decision by the Howard County Board of Education force educators to return to school buildings before they are Immunized sends the message that educators’ lives are disposable;
AND WHEREAS: the Superintendent and the Board of Education has the legal authority to ensure educators are immunized before returning them to buildings;
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED: that the Howard County Education Association opposes the Board of Education’s plan to compel staff to return to in-person learning before those educators have been immunized against COVID-19.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That HCEA condemns the suggestion that MSDE or the Governor’s Office are empowered to take retaliatory action against any Local Education Agencies, and ca. on the Howard County Board of Education to stand up for the lives of its own employees;
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: that until the Board of Education withdraws its plan to compel educators back into buildings before being immunized, that Howard County Educators will commence work-to-rule effective February., 2021, restricting the following activities:
• Educators will work only within the hours of the contractual duty day. At the beginning of the duty day, staff will enter the building together, and staff will leave together at the end of the day.
• Educators will not participate in optional meetings before and after the contractual duty day.
• Educators will not participate in voluntary back-to-school night activities (unless you have already committed yourself to volunteer).
• Educators will not respond to work-related emails outside of the contractual duty day.
• Clubs and extracurricular activities for which educators do not receive stipends are cancelled.
• Paraeducators and ESP staff shall not honor requests to substitute when a teacher is absent for an approved leave of absence.
• Assignments will be graded within the grading window, and not sooner. Makeup assignments are at the discretion of the educator, and educators will not give make up exams before or after the duty day or during contractual planning time.
• PIP time will be reclaimed for its intended purpose of teacher collaboration, and will not be used for administrator-directed meetings unrelated to teacher collaboration.
• Teacher planning time shall be free of distraction and interruption.
• Teachers will not perform custodial duties, and support professionals will not be responsible for cleaning up bodily fluids. Teachers shall not deliver books, equipment, or any heavy or bulky teaching materials to classrooms.
• The work of teacher’s secretaries shall take priority over other administrative work.
• Teachers will not find their own substitutes to provide coverage.
• Elementary school teachers shall not provide coverage for lunch or recess duties.
• Educators shall not accept any other assignment outside the core job function of each educator.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That HCEA shall adopt the policy of this resolution and the HCEA President shall transmit this policy to members, the Howard County Public School System, and the media in the fashion that she sees fit.
I will keep an eye on social media to see what parents have to say about this as well as what experiences are shared with this new policy / procedure in place from the HCEA to their members.
I will also be watching the next Howard County Board of Education meeting (4 & 7 p.m. Virtual Meeting of the Board of Education of Howard County – Feb 25, 2021 04:00 PM) to see what the board has to think about this new policy from the educators in the school system.
Have an opinion? Let me know in the comments.