Howard County Councilwoman Christiana Rigby (District 3) will join Scott E’s Blog for a discussion about Council Bill 13-2021 (CB13-2021) on February 16th at 3:30pm (Time changed from 3:00pm to 3:30pm at the request of the Councilmembers staff). The summary of this legislation reads:
AN ACT to prohibit the sale or distribution of certain single-use straws and stirrers, certain condiment packets and certain plastic food ware by certain food service facilities and retail business entities under specified circumstances; providing for exceptions to the prohibition; requiring certain establishments to have specified materials; providing for enforcement of the prohibition; specifying the duties of the Office of Community Sustainability; requiring fines to be placed in a certain Fund; and generally relating to waste reduction in the County.
As I read this legislation I see it in two parts: CB13-2021
- SINGLE-USE STRAWS AND STIRRERS
- PLASTIC FOOD WARE; DISPOSABLE PLASTIC CONDIMENT PACKETS
I have a number of questions I will ask during this interview…a few of those include:
- What is the purpose of this legislation?
- Is this a ban on the products like plastic straws, plastic bowls, plastic plates and ketchup packets in food establishments or at take out form those establishments or is this really something different?
- How does this legislation differ between entities operated by County Government vs businesses in our county?
- If passed – when does this legislation begin?
- Questions about the enforcement and penalties section of this legislation.
I am sure I will come up with other questions before our discussion on Tuesday the 16th of February. If you have any questions you would like me to ask email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I will see if I can get those into the discussion.
Here is the Facebook event (for those that need a reminder like I do most times): https://www.facebook.com/events/285139756357757/
You can watch the discussion on Scott E’s Blog Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/scotteblog/videos/
I will have a follow up blog post with the interview and embed the video from Scott E’s Blog YouTube channel in that article.