I have seen this online petition shared around Facebook recently. It is asking the incoming Howard County Board of Education members to relook at the decisions recently made by the current Board members “Howard County Board of Education votes for HCPSS to remain virtual for quarter three of 2020-2021 school year“. Here is the full text of the online petition on ipetitions.com:

Stand Up for a Better HoCo BOE: Petition the Incoming Board to Reverse the Q3 Virtual Decision

The citizens of Howard County are appalled and heartbroken over the BOE’s decision last night to reject the hybrid model and stay virtual. After town halls, thoughtful discussion, and months of the Superintendents team working on a plan, Mavis Ellis, Kirsten Coombs, Sabina Taj, Jen Mallo, and the student member saw it fit to just outright reject the plan. But in less than a month Ellis, Coombs, and Taj will be gone. We need the new board to look at this again and approve the plan based on metrics. We believe that if Yun Lu, Antonia Watts and Jolene Mosley can join Vicky Cutroneo, Christina Delmont-Small, and Chao Wu in following the plan put in place by the superintendent that we can get kids back in the classroom this year in a safe manner. By signing this petition you are asking the new board to immediately take up this issue and reverse the vote.

As of this post the petition has 787 signers. You can view the online petition here: https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stand-up-for-a-better-boe-petition-the-incoming

The new Howard County Board of Education member come on board on December 7th.

The current board approved the following Health Metrics related to reopening: https://go.boarddocs.com/mabe/hcpssmd/Board.nsf/files/BULRD46B865F/$file/10%2022%202020%20Reopening%20HCPSS%20Metric%20Color%20Bands.pdf

This morning (November 19th) according to the Howard County COVID-19 dashboard we are at 20.7 confirmed cases – 7 day average per 100,000.


Scott E


  1. I can appreciate a BOE being cautious in regards to Data. It seems Dr. Martriano and team has been very mindful about revisiting these decisions in regards to COVID and stats and including parental feedback. I am unsure if new BOE members coming in will reflect our Parental feelings on the matter, so I think the petition is a good idea. If in the least show the BOE that parents/students/teachers are still paying attention to the matter and that we care. If we continue heading down this road, they will make school virtual forever. I’m sorry but kids need Human interaction, it’s how we learn to grow, live, love and respect,

    • As that may be true about human interaction but is it worth risking the health and safety of students and staff? No! This too shall pass but we have to do accordingly right now so when can at some point get back together.

  2. Not all the citizens of Howard County are appalled; in fact, many of us applaud the BOE’s decision as forward-thinking, both considered and considerate, and in keeping with ensuring that our children AND teachers remain safe during this pandemic. This was the correct decision to make at this time. Frankly, until vaccines are available and in wide use, it will not be safe for our children and teachers to return to the classrooms; once vaccines are available, they should be absolutely required before any student or teacher returns. Instead of delaying the inevitable decision for teaching to remain virtual two weeks at a time, the Board has made an intelligent decision to keep our community safe from a deadly and currently uncontrolled illness.

  3. Rather than a petition to open 3Q, why not sign to USE the very well-designed and medically credible grid that was approved?

Comments are closed.