Howard County General Hospital is offering online and virtual courses about childbirth, breastfeeding and newborns as well as online support group meetings and virtual birthing center tours for expectant parents. Participants can access online courses in their homes at their own pace and can register for live, scheduled virtual classes.
Childbirth Preparation includes comprehensive information about pregnancy, labor, childbirth, comfort techniques, C-sections and medical procedures in the online course, Understanding Birth. The live, virtual class led by a childbirth educator will teach breathing and relaxation techniques and participants can ask questions. Cost is $75. Virtual classes will take place on:
- Sunday, Oct. 25, from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
- Saturday, Nov. 7, from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, Nov. 18, from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 5, from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 16, from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
Breastfeeding is taught through the online course Understanding Breastfeeding that presents when to breastfeed, getting enough milk, latching and positioning, breast care and the breastfeeding lifestyle. After completing the online class, participants may attend a virtual class led by a lactation consultant. Cost is $40. Virtual classes will take place on:
- Monday, Nov. 2, from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 7, from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 19, from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
Infant Care discusses the appearance of newborns, traits and behaviors; crying and comforting; bathing and dressing; feeding and sleeping; signs of illness; and newborn health and safety in the online class Understanding Your Newborn. Practical skills will be taught in the live, virtual class. Cost is $65. Virtual classes will take place on:
- Saturday, Nov. 14, from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 12, from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
New Moms’ Online Support Group provides the opportunity for moms with babies up to five months old to share their experiences, meet virtually for support and referrals and discuss parenting topics. The group is free to attend and will hold online meetings on Tuesdays from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. for eight weeks starting Nov. 17.
Virtual birthing center tours will present Howard County General Hospital’s birthing center and information about having a baby at the hospital. A nurse will lead the free tour and answer questions through online video. Virtual tours will take place on:
- Saturday, Oct. 24, from 10 to 10:45 a.m.
- Tuesday, Nov. 10, from 6 to 6:45 p.m.
- Saturday, Nov. 28, from 10 to 10:45 a.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 8, from 6 to 6:45 p.m.
For more information and registration, visit hcgh.org/babyclasses.