Tyquan Carter, age 21, pleaded guilty today to manslaughter before Howard County Circuit Court Judge Timothy J. McCrone and was sentenced to 10 years incarceration suspending all but two years.

On October 7th, 2019, at approximately 9:37pm Howard County Police responded to a report of shots fired in the 9500 block of Sea Shadow in Columbia, MD. When police arrived on the scene, they identified an individual known as D’Marni Ware, age 19, lying on the ground in the parking lot. Mr. Ware had been shot twice; one of them a gunshot wound to the head. Another individual, 18-year old Jaiden Marquise Pender, had also been shot. Both men were transported to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

Investigators believe Pender and Ware met up with Carter to complete a drug deal. During the drug transaction, Pender displayed a handgun and attempted to rob Carter. Pender and Carter struggled over the handgun. Ware exited the front passenger side of the vehicle and began assisting Pender. During the struggle, Carter gained control of the handgun and shot Pender and Ware. Detectives viewed surveillance video in the area that captured part of the incident. Ware died as a result of the gunshot wounds he suffered that night.

On October 8th, 2019, police arrested Carter and charged him with attempted first-degree murder. The Howard County State’s Attorney’s office decided to investigate this incident further.

On March 24, 2020, DNA test results showed that a live bullet obtained from the floorboard of Jaiden Pender’s vehicle was a match for D’Marni Ware. Police also discovered that Pender and Ware had committed 2 robberies the same evening of the shooting. Pender was arrested for these 2 robberies in June of 2020. At that time, Pender admitted to setting up the drug deal, along with Ware, and intended to rob Carter during the transaction.


As a result of these findings, the Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office reduced the charges from first-degree murder to manslaughter and offered Carter a plea agreement.
During today’s sentencing, Carter was also placed on 3 years of supervised probation and is not allowed to have any contact with the victim’s family.

Assistant State’s Attorneys’ Maurice F. Frazier and Danielle Duclaux prosecuted this case.


Scott E


  1. It is a shame a criminal and a killer to be sentenced to such a lenient sentence, while a whole country is tormented by the blm and antifa thugs.

  2. Did you actually read the statement of charges he was given little to no time because he was defending himself against the robbery I thought you knuckle dragger’s like the idea of citizens of Defense

Comments are closed.