Howard County Executive Calvin Ball to Host Press Conference on Coronavirus Response
Announces meetings and events guidance
County Executive Calvin Ball has announced new guidance that will limit Howard County Government meetings and events for the next 45 days. The policy can be read here. Ball will host a press conference gathering County officials and community stakeholders, on Friday, March 13 at 11 a.m. at the George Howard Building to address Howard County’s updated response to coronavirus in Maryland. The press conference can be watched live on Facebook here or on the County website under “other meetings and events” here.
“We are taking comprehensive precautions to mitigate, to the greatest extent possible, community spread of COVID-19, in Howard County,” said Ball. “We want to first and foremost ensure the safety and public health of our community and vulnerable populations and have been working closely with the Howard County Health Department to provide guidance to our residents, employers, and County workers.”
WHAT: Coronavirus Response Presser
WHEN: Friday, March 13th at 11 a.m.
WHERE: Banneker Room, George Howard Building, 3430 Courthouse Dr., Ellicott City
- Calvin Ball, Howard County Executive
- Dr. Maura Rossman, Howard County Health Officer
- Jacqueline Scott, Dept. Community Resources & Services Director
- Raul Delerme, Dept. of Recreation & Parks Director
- Dr. Michael Martirano, HCPSS Superintendent
- Dr. Kate Hetherington, HCC President
- Tonya Aikens, Howard County Library System President
- Dr. Shafeeq Ahmed, Chief Medical Officer, Howard County General Hospital
From the link above:
Please be aware that all policies for County operations will be evaluated on an ongoing basis and adjusted as necessary to meet new circumstances. Should changes to County policy occur, all County Departments will be notified.
1. Howard County Employee Travel for Official Business
• Effective Tuesday, March 10, 2020, out of state travel for official business is cancelled for the next 45 days unless the CAO grants an exception.
2. Howard County Government Gatherings, Meetings, or Events (“HCG Events”)
• The following types of HCG Events are cancelled immediately for the next 45 days:
o Gatherings, meetings, or events that are targeted or likely to attract one of the atrisk/vulnerable populations, per the CDC: older adults, those with serious chronic medical conditions, or communities/groups that commonly travel.
o Any exceptions must be approved by the CAO.
• All other HCG Events for the next 45 days should be assessed by the relevant Department Director. The decision to cancel or postpone an event is at the discretion of the Director. Directors will need to implement the policy based on their expertise, existing policy decisions, and mitigation guidance provided by health officials. The Administration is available should there be questions from Directors.
o Department Directors should consider all measures to mitigate the transmission of COVID-19 including but not limited to:
Howard County Large Gathering Policy Guidance 2 March 2020 The ratio of space to attendees to allow for social distancing as described by the CDC when determining whether to hold large events;
Whether the event is likely to attract people from areas where there have been cases of COVID-19;
The availability of appropriate hygiene products such as soap and water, hand washing stations, hand sanitizer, tissues, etc.;
The ability to meet all current Health Department and/or CDC standards related to sanitization and food handling practices;
and Whether the event could be rescheduled or held virtually.
• Non-County Government gatherings, meetings, and events held on County property will be evaluated on a continual basis.