I know a formal announcement is planned for later today but here is what was announced on The Rachel Maddow Show (MSNBC) last night:
BREAKING: Maya Rockeymoore Cummings will run for her husband Elijah's congressional seat. pic.twitter.com/6WtInIwEDM
— Maddow Blog (@MaddowBlog) November 12, 2019
I do not think anyone will be shocked or surprised by this announcement.
The field now consists of the following candidates for MD07:
- Christopher M. Anderson
- Ray Bly
- Reba A. Hawkins
- Kimberly Klacik (announced but not filed yet)
- Liz Matory
- William Newton
- Maya R. Cummings (announced but not filed yet)
- T. Dan Baker (from Columbia)
- Darryl Gonzalez
- Mark Steven Gosnell (from Elkridge)
- F Michael Higginbotham
- Kweisi Mfume (announced but not filed yet)
- Charles U. Smith
- Harry Spikes
- Charles Stokes
- Del. Talmadge Branch (announced but not filed yet)
I have heard of one or two other names from Howard County that are considering getting into the race for Maryland’s 7th Congressional District.
This may shape up to be a pretty large field at the end of it all.
Some important dates to remember:
- Certificates of candidacy may be filed beginning on October 30, 2019.
- The deadline for nomination papers to be filed is November 20, 2019, and the deadline for candidate withdrawal is November 22, 2019.
- The special primary election will occur on February 4, 2020, 76 days from the filing deadline.
- The special general election will occur on April 28, 2020—the same date as the state’s spring primary.