Today (July 9th) at 6:00pm Howard County Public School System (HCPSS) will hold the fourth and final Attendance Area Committee (AAC) meeting at Atholton High School. Here is information about the AAC via the HCPSS School Boundary Review Process webpage:
The Attendance Area Committee reviews options presented in the Feasibility Study and makes recommendations to the Superintendent to help inform his proposal to the Board, scheduled to be presented on August 20. The AAC will not gather public input, nor will it develop its own boundary review scenarios. This group will review the Feasibility Study and provide feedback directly to the Superintendent to inform his recommendations.
Per Board of Education Policy 6010, the Superintendent appointed to the AAC individuals who represent every planning region in the county, and have previously served HCPSS in advisory roles, as a member of an advisory committee, or partner community organization. Group members include a former HCPSS administrator and a current student. Two individuals were tapped from one of the last three AACs to provide historical perspective.
AAC meetings will not be streamed online but are open to any member of the public who wishes to attend.
AAC meetings will be held at Atholton High School at 6 p.m.
Here is the agenda for the meeting today: https://www.hcpss.org/f/schoolplanning/2019/aac-agenda-07-09-19.pdf
Next up in the process is four community input sessions. These upcoming sessions are scheduled in July:
- Wednesday, July 10, 7–9 p.m. at Oakland Mills High School
- Families currently zoned for Centennial HS, Howard HS, Mt. Hebron HS, Oakland Mills HS
- Saturday, July 13, 9–11 a.m. at Long Reach High School
- Available to any family that is unable to attend their regional meeting.
- Tuesday, July 16, 7–9 p.m. at Atholton High School
- Families currently zoned for Atholton HS, Hammond HS, Long Reach HS, Wilde Lake HS
- Thursday, July 18, 7–9 p.m. at River Hill High School
- Families currently zoned for Glenelg HS, Marriotts Ridge HS, Reservoir HS, River Hill HS
The Superintendent will make his boundary recommendations to the Board of Education on August 20th. I look forward to seeing the recommendations.