Here is a program from HCPSS and other organizations offering free meals to all children under the age of 18 during spring break in Howard County from April 15-18, 2019:
Free Spring Break Meals Program Will Serve Howard County Children, April 15-18, 2019
The Howard County Public School System is partnering with the Howard County Department of Community Resources and Services, the Howard County Library System and the Community Action Council of Howard County to provide nutrition for children in need during Spring Break.
Lunches will be served from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Monday, April 15 through Thursday, April 18 at the following locations:
- The Bain 50+ Center, 5470 Ruth Keeton Way, Columbia, MD 21044 (map)
- Howard County Library East Columbia Branch, 6600 Cradlerock Way, Columbia, MD 21045 (map)
- North Laurel Community Center, 9411 Whiskey Bottom Road, Laurel, MD 20723 (map)
All children age 18 and younger will receive a free meal. There is no application, enrollment or cost for this Spring Break meal program.
Here is a map of the locations:
A couple of things struck me with this announcement:
- First of all I think it is great to support those in need in the county. I am fully supportive of this program. I would love to have more information on the budget impact given how open this program is to everyone under the age of 18 that shows up to those locations to take part in this program.
- The locations seem odd…in that there is no location in Ellicott City or Elkridge. I am sure there is a strategic reason for the locations…but just seemed odd to have 2 locations in Columbia, 1 location in Laurel and nothing in the eastern part of the county.
Hopefully we will all see a lot of reminders of this program leading up to spring break…so that everyone in the community is aware of the program.