Gail Bates has been nominated to serve on the State Board of Education by Governor Larry Hogan.
Gail Bates served as a State Delegate (District 9A) between 2002 and 2014 and as a State Senator (District 9) between 2014 and 2018. In November, Gail Bates lost to Democrat Katie Hester by less than 600 votes in her bid for re-election to the Maryland State Senate.
Some other notable public service for Former State Senator Bates includes:
- 2018- Task Force to Study State Alcohol Regulation, Enforcement, Safety and Public Health
- 2017- Maryland Correctional Enterprises Management Council
- 2008- Agriculture and Energy Committee, National Conference of State Legislatures
- 2008- Environment Committee, National Conference of State Legislatures
- 2007-2008 Agriculture, Environment and Energy Committee, National Conference of State Legislatures
- 2005-2007 Agriculture and Rural Development Committee, National Conference of State Legislatures
- 2004- Treasurer, Howard County Tourism Council
- 1982-1990 Howard County Republican Central Committee
- 1987-1988 Disabilities Issues Advisory Committee, Howard County
- 1986- Howard County Chamber of Commerce, Legislative Committee
- 1980-1984Treasurer, Howard County Republican Central Committee
And this is important background information you should know on this topic:
- University of Maryland, B.S., Education, 1968
- Mathematics and Home Economics Teacher, Anne Arundel County, 1968-73
To me…this should be an easy confirmation for the Maryland State Senate.
Earlier this year another previously elected official from Howard County was added to the Hogan administration: Allan Kittleman Confirmed For Workers’ Comp Commission.