More changes coming to Google…here is the most recent email they sent out about changes to Google Groups:
In May 2019, we’ll make some changes to Google Groups’ settings. In response to your ongoing feedback, we are updating Groups’ settings to make it easier for you and your users to manage and configure groups.
Specifically, we will remove settings and features that are rarely used, and combine settings that cover similar functionality. Use this Help Center article to see details of these changes and see how you can prepare for the update.
The changes will start to roll out on May 6, and may take up to 15 days to reach all domains.
What does this mean for my organization?
The removal and merging of some options for group management roles in the Settings section of groups.google.com will affect the settings for your existing groups. When the changes take effect, we’ll update the settings for existing groups to match the new set of options. These updates may change how groups can be accessed and used. Use our Help Center to see details of these changes and see how you can prepare for the update.
What do I need to do?
Use this Help Center article to see what’s changing and how you can prepare for the changes, and this Help Center article to see how you could tell group owners about what’s changing.
Some users may lose access to group management features
Some users who are not group owners or group managers but who currently have access to specific group management features may lose that access. Therefore you may want to audit groups in your organization and adjust the settings before May 6 to make sure these users don’t lose access.
If you do nothing:
- Existing group settings will be updated to conform to the new controls available.
- Group owners will still be able to change the settings that apply to their group at any point.
- New groups will be subject to the default controls that are the same as they are today.
We recommend that you audit your groups after the change to confirm that the new changes have the desired settings.
How will users find out about these changes?
- In-product message: In the next few days, users will see an in-product message about the upcoming changes when they use Groups. The message will direct them to the Help Center for an overview of the changes and change timeline.
- Admin outreach: We encourage you to work with groups owners at your organization to educate them about the changes and encourage them to take any necessary actions before May 6. You can see an email template that could be helpful in communicating these changes to your users.
How can I see affected group owners?
Most groups will be affected in some way by these changes. You can use the Groups API to get a list of all groups and get a list of group owners in your organization, which might help you prepare for the changes.
We’re here to help
If you have additional questions or need assistance, please contact Google support. When you call or submit your support case, reference issue number 116171877.
The G Suite Team
I am not a Google Groups users…so no big deal for me. If you are a Google Groups user…good luck with the upcoming changes.