Here is the notification sent out today:
The Howard County Delegation has scheduled their next meeting to discuss and potentially vote on local bills. The work/voting session will be held on Wednesday, January 30, 2019, at 9:00am in the Lowe House of Delegates Building, Room 218, 6 Bladen Street, Annapolis, Maryland 21401. Delegation meetings are open to the public. The agenda for this meeting is attached and all of the 2019 proposed legislation may be viewed on the County website at: https://www.howardcountymd.gov/About-HoCo/State-Delegation/Proposed-Local-Legislation. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Howard County Delegation Administrator
Maryland General Assembly
The Maryland House of Delegates
6 Bladen Street, Room 214B
Annapolis, MD 21401
phone: 410 -841-3360, 301-858-3360
Here is the information in the attachment:
Howard County Delegation
January 30, 2019
Howard County Delegation Room (LHOB Room 218) – 9:00am
The Delegation will hear the following presentation and discuss and possibly vote on the following proposed local bond initiative and bills. This agenda is subject to change at the discretion of the Delegation Chairs.
Bond Initiative Requests:
- Early Childhood Education Center, Ho. Co. 28-19, $50,000; Sponsored by: Delegate Terrasa
Proposed Local Bills
- Howard County – Orphans’ Court Judges – Qualifications, Ho. Co. 2–19; Sponsored by: Delegate Atterbeary
- Howard County – Impact Fees – Calculation, Ho. Co. 3–19; Sponsored by: Delegate Atterbeary
- Howard County – Authority to Impose Fees for Use of Disposable Bags, Ho. Co. 4–19; Sponsored by: Delegate Hill
- Howard County – Ethics – Limit on Developer Contributions, Ho. Co. 12-19; Sponsored by: Delegate Miller
- Howard County – Flood Control Standards – Tiber – Hudson Branch, New Cut Branch, and Plum Tree Branch, Ho.Co. 11-19; Sponsored by: Delegate Watson
- Howard County – Howard County School Board Determining School Calendar, Ho. Co. 25-19; Sponsored by: Delegate Watson
- Howard County – Alcoholic Beverages – Marketplace License, Ho.Co. 06-19; Sponsored by: Delegate Hill
This is a follow up meeting to the one held earlier this week (on January 23rd).
I am a little confused at one of the agenda topics “Howard County – Orphans’ Court Judges – Qualifications, Ho. Co. 2–19; Sponsored by: Delegate Atterbeary” – I thought this item was pulled off the table back on the 23rd…but maybe I misunderstood what I heard.
I am still very concerned about “Howard County – Authority to Impose Fees for Use of Disposable Bags, Ho. Co. 4–19; Sponsored by: Delegate Hill“…better know as the Howard County Bag Tax bill. This bill would allow the Howard County Council to submit a bag tax bill locally…a tax that has proved not to reduce the number of bags taxed at point of sale year after year in Montgomery County and in Washington DC. If passed…keep an eye out for legislators in Annapolis spinning why they passed it. In my personal opinion…if you vote yes on this bill you support a tax on bags (plastic and possibly paper as well…oh yeah…this may be added as an amendment to this bill per the discussion on the 23rd…so allowing a future bill in Howard county to potentially tax us on all types of bags at checkout)…it is that simple.
I am still waiting to see when updates are added to this page: https://www.howardcountymd.gov/About-HoCo/State-Delegation/Proposed-Local-Legislation…it has not been updated yet with what has passed, what has failed or what is still under consideration…hopefully we get that information in the near future. I check the page every morning looking for updates….and will continue to do so.
My schedule next week is filling up and I will not be able to attend the meeting on the 30th…but if you attend and want to give me a heads up about what happened…feel free to reach out.