The Blue Wave is coming. I feel comfortable with that statement. I also am not sure that I could call it as historic as others will. I base that on data…specifically recent data that shows we get pretty significant changes when one party controls the House, Senate and has this sitting President. Here is some data I pulled:
President Clinton: (Democrat)
- 1993 – 1995 – Democrats controlled both the Senate (57 to 43) and the House (258 to 176).
- 1995 – 1997 – The country shifted big time with what you could call a “Red Wave” as Republicans took the Senate (53 to 47) and House (230 to 204).
- 1997 – 2001 – The Senate and House remained under control by the Republicans
President Bush: (Republican)
- 2001 – 2003 – The House remained under control of the republicans (221 – 212) and the Senate was a virtual tie…and of course ties go to the party in charge of the White House.
- 2003 – 2007 – The Senate and House remained under control of the Republicans
- 2007 – 2009 – In President Bush’s final two years…a type of “Blue Wave” hit and Democrats took the House (236 – 199) and held an advantage in the Senate (49 to 49 but with two Independents caucusing with Democrats).
President Obama: (Democrat)
- 2009 – 2011 – The Democrats had big advantages in the Senate (56 – 58 to 40 – 42…plus 2 Independents caucusing with Democrats) and the House (257 to 178).
- 2011 – 2013 – Another “Red Wave” happened and flipped the house back to the Republicans (242 – 193). Democrats continue to hold the Senate.
- 2013 – 2015 – no changes.
- 2015 – 2017 – The Senate flips to Republican (54 to 46) and the House stays with the Republicans.
President Trump (Republican)
- 2017 – 2019 – The Republicans hold control of the Senate and House.
- 2019 – 2021 – Wait and see!!!
So the thing to learn from this is that over the past 25+ years…no one party holds control of the office of the President, House and Senate for long. The country has not been a fan of one party control and when we start leaning far right or far left…the voters “autocorrect” and the Blue and Red Waves happen (we might not have called them that in the past…but that is basically what they were). It will happen again…and probably sooner rather than later…but this has not been an uncommon occurrence for this country, that is what the data tells me.
That all being said…GET OUT AND VOTE!!! That is the only way things change…or stay the same…depending on which side you may be on.