Pre-Primary Report 1 numbers have been submitted by all candidates running for Howard County Board of Education in 2018. This is a follow up from posts back in April 2018 and January 2018. We have just over a month before the primary in which 8 of the 13 (really only 11) candidates will move on to the general. Who has the money for the final push in the primary? Let’s see…
I am going to break my comments into sections based on the numbers I read in the reports.
- Taj and Wu had the best reporting period in amount of incoming funds to their campaigns.
- Many other candidates raised between $2,000 and $3,300…decent amounts for all in that category.
- Rehman leads the pack in spending…there is no question he is all in on this primary by spending more than $14,000 so far (see his last filing for more data) in this election.
- Wu is not that far behind Rehman on the spending front…once again spending the 2nd most amount of money and has a total of over $10,000 spent to date.
Odd Numbers Regarding Spending:
- Glascock reported no funds spent on his report. This threw me for a loop. I have seen photos of t-shirts and yard signs…how does one acquire those without spending money in a campaign. Maybe this is a timing issue? I am far from a campaign finance report expert…it just hit me as odd.
- Pena reported just over $28 spent. This is another candidate that has posted pictures of yard signs on her Facebook page. Now Pena did list some in-kind contributions but nothing specific to yard signs. (Note – see comment in reply’s at the bottom of the page)
- If there are vendors out there that do yards signs at no cost…this would be good to know…because a bunch of other candidates are spending A LOT of money on yard signs per their reports.
Affidavit of Limited Contributions and Expenditures:
- Two candidates again reported ALCE’s – Cutroneo and Robinson. It is hard to win a county wide campaign with little to no funds. I know the goal of everyone right now is just make it to the final 8…and both of these candidates have endorsements that may put them into the final 8…but banking on that alone may not get it done with this many candidates.
- For those not familiar with Affidavit of Limited Contributions and Expenditures, it states: “Pursuant to §13-305 of the Election Law Article, Annotated Code of Maryland, we, the undersigned Chairman and Treasurer, hereby declare that we do not intend to receive contributions or make expenditures in the cumulative amount of $1,000 or more”
Why Are They Running:
- Hamilton has still not filed any information this election cycle. It is ridiculous that his name will be on the ballot.
- Hilfiger did finally report an ACLE on April 30th (13 days late). He has not reported for this cycle yet. Again, It is ridiculous that his name will be on the ballot.
- If anyone votes for these two you are totally waisting your votes…I know they will get some votes and that is unfortunate to the other candidates actually seeking this office.
The next filing deadline is June 15th…I will update this chart when the new numbers are released.
Early voting starts June 14 and runs to June 21st. Candidates…start making your final push to make the final 8.
Here is a link to find all of the campaign reports for any candidate…in case you want to go lookup the actual reports: https://campaignfinancemd.us/Public/ViewFiledReports
Have a great day.