This is my first evaluation of online outreach activity for candidates running for Maryland State Senate in District 9. We have a primary on the GOP side of the race between Bates and Novotny…but I am listing Hester in this evaluation to show the comparisons of all candidates.
Gail Bates (R): https://www.gailbatesforsenate.com/
Reid Novotny (R): https://www.howardcarroll.com/
Katie Hester (D): https://katiefryhester.com/
The Scorecard: (Click the follower numbers below to view the social media page)
|Gail Bates (R)||961||821|
|Reid Novotny (R)||225||32|
|Katie Hester (D)||399||246|
- Bates has the most Facebook followers…but they have not heard from her in a while (last post was October 2017). Similarly, she has the most Twitter followers (but again…no tweets in a long time…last tweet was September 2016).
- Hester and Novotny are first time candidates who are working on building their social media following.
- No tracking data on new follower adds yet…that will come in the next evaluation.
Engagement numbers: for this evaluation I am looking at Facebook engagement over the past week:
- Novotny has been the most active candidate over the past week and is the only active candidate on the GOP side of this race…and maybe he can use that to build support in District 9 during the primary to pull the upset and win over Bates.
- Bates is in session until April 9th…so maybe she will start using social media to build support at that point…time will tell.
- Hester has the highest engagement (likes, shares and comments) over the past week and has added the highest percentage of new followers on Facebook.
Stay tuned for more scorecards over the next week.