This is my first evaluation of online outreach activity for candidates running for Howard County Council in District 5. We have a primary on the GOP side of this race (Yungmann vs Walsh) and that will be the focus of this evaluation…but I have listed Williams just to show the comparison and to provide the links to all candidates online outreach.
David Yungmann (R): www.davidyungmann.com
Jim Walsh (R): http://www.walsh4hoco.com/
China Williams (D): http://chinawilliams.com/
The Scorecard: (Click the follower numbers below to view the social media page)
|David Yungmann (R)||621|
|Jim Walsh (R)||188||36|
|China Williams (D)||331||67|
- Yungmann holds an advantage in Facebook followers over Walsh.
- Walsh is the only GOP candidate on Twitter – but the account does not have a big following nor is it very active (no tweets in 2018).
- Williams is the only Dem in this race…her follower numbers are OK at this point.
- As this is the first evaluation…I do not have tracking data regarding adding new followers…that will come in the next evaluation.
Engagement numbers: for this evaluation I am looking at Facebook engagement over the past week:
- Jim Walsh has been more active than Yungmann over the past week (Yungmann has not posted since February 16th).
- Yungmann has been adding new followers over the past week (up 2.5%) at a higher rate than the other candidates.
- Williams has been the most active and getting good engagement from her followers.
The overall technology outreach is pretty light in District 5…but I expect that to pick up between now and late June (particularly for the GOP candidates).
Scorecards for other Howard County Council races will happen this month…so stay tuned.