Baltimore has exceeded 300 homicides again and is on pace to potentially make 2017 one of if not the worst year for that stat…here is some information reported by the Baltimore Sun:
Prior to 2015, Baltimore hadn’t seen 300 homicides in a single year since the 1990s, which by body count was the deadliest decade in the city’s history. Breaking 300 was a common occurrence back then.
Still, the death rate wasn’t what it is now, because there were about 100,000 more residents in the city then.
In 2015, Baltimore broke 300 homicides for the first time since 1999, and that year ended with 344 homicides, a per capita record.
In 2016, the city passed the mark again, with 318 homicides.
Now, with 301 homicides at the start of November, the city is on pace to break records again. It could even surpass the total homicide record set in 1993, when there were 353 killings.
City Councilman Brandon Scott, chair of the public safety committee, said Thursday night that the city passing 300 killings — particularly so early in the year — should be a wake-up call. It passed the same mark last year in mid-December.
“I hope that everyone that loves Baltimore realizes that everyone has to do soul-searching for us to be better and not have this conversation again next year, so less families are suffering this trauma,” he said. “No one and no neighborhood is exempt.”
You can read the full article from the Baltimore Sun HERE.
You can view the map (image at the top of the article) HERE to view to locations of the homicides in Baltimore by year.
Those numbers are pretty eye opening and somewhat scary if living in or visiting Baltimore.
Here is additional information from that Baltimore Sun Article:
As the killings have mounted, Scott said he has seen many activists and neighborhood advocates get worn down.
“I’m having these conversations with folks and they’re all saying the same thing. ‘We’ve got to do more. We’ve got to do better.’ But so many people are beat down and tired,” he said.
He included himself in that category, but said he refuses to stop fighting for Baltimore — and urged others to stick with him.
“I love our city and I know that we can do better, because we have done better before,” he said. “Everyone is trying to do so much, but it just seems like we have do to more.”
That’s the message activists hope to bring with them into the 72-hour ceasefire scheduled for this weekend. It’s the second of its kind in recent months.
The first ceasefire was held in August, back when the city’s homicide count stood at 188. Even as residents marched through the city, held cookouts and other events aimed at curbing the violence, the weekend was marred by gunfire — including at least two homicides.
Still, organizers said it was a success, and have high hopes going into the weekend.
“We’re doing ceasefires quarterly because we saw what the first one did, how much hope it gave the city,” said Erricka Bridgeford, one of the event’s founders.
Calling for a 72 hour ceasefire is a wonderful idea…but are those committing the crimes listening or even paying attention? I guess we will have to see what the weekend numbers look like on Monday morning…but the last ceasefire was “marred by gunfire – including at least two homicides” says to me that they are not…more has to be done by city officials to make people safe in Baltimore.
Sorry for such a bummer post on a Friday…I do hope you all have a wonderful (and safe) weekend.