No big changes here in MD03. This is a pretty simple update looking at who is adding the most new followers over the past month. Now on to the review…
The candidates: To see the full list of candidates click here
(D) John Sarbanes: http://www.johnsarbanes.com/
(R) Mark Plaster: http://www.plasterforcongress.com/
The Scorecard: (Click the follower numbers below to view the social media page)
- There is one additional candidate running (Nnabu Eze – Green Party). I have still not found a website for this candidate but I did find a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Nnabu-Eze-for-Congress-Maryland-3rd-District-476682352533832/ – he is up to 97 followers now (that is 12 more than last month).
- Sarbanes – Was the big winner over the past month adding the most new Facebook and Twitter followers (slightly over Plaster).
- Other Outreach: (Overall minimal)
- Sarbanes lists YouTube (no new videos in over 5 months) and LinkedIn on his campaign website.
- Plaster only lists Facebook and Twitter on his campaign website (someday I hope they correct his on their website)…but I know he has an Instagram account – nice to see some post on that account again over the past month. The campaign also has a YouTube page but no new videos in the past 4 months.
A significant factor in evaluating online outreach is looking at follower engagement. In August, I am back to focusing my reviews on Facebook engagement. Here are the numbers for the candidates over the past week:
- Plaster was the most active over the past week with 13 posts and had a significant advantage with follower engagement (likes, shares and comments) with more than 10 times what Sarbanes has seen over the past week on Facebook.
Online outreach leader for August: I am going to give Sarbanes a slight edge this month. His follower advantage is pretty significant but his engagement numbers on Facebook are not optimal (hence the “slight” advantage). I like what the Plaster team is doing online and time will tell if it pays off in November. I know it wont hurt. I look forward to evaluating the Twitter engagement numbers next month,
The Howard County Fair started yesterday. The Opening Parade is today at 2:00pm. Will either candidate and/or their teams be part of the parade today? I will be sure to let everyone know who is (or is not) working for Howard County votes at our annual fair.
Of course the reality of followers, likes, and subscribers does not mean a lot when it comes down to voting in the end, but it can show trends in a campaign cycle and makes a great resource for following all of the candidates.